I would LOVE the opportunity to come teach your group! Please email for details.
LET THE MAGIC IN YOU COME OUT!

Search This Blog

9.04.2010

If At First You Don't Succeed

I've been trying to get online and add a post to this blog for three days now without success. So, I'll try again! 

I've been working through the techniques in Beryl Taylor's book, Mixed Media Explorations. I took a class from her in Houston the first time I went to International Quilt Festival in 2k7 and really think she's an awesome artist. I've tried many of the techniques previously - but not her 'way' and it's been a fun experience to work through the book...mostly. 

Today, I used up some of the trash - uh, I mean, paper, that I had shipped down here from the States. (You wouldn't believe the stuff I have in that play room). It felt really, really good to put some of it into a project.

I started by gluing strips of white textured wallpaper to a piece of gray felt, then on top of that, I glued down some strips of white tissue paper. Everything I used came from a yard sale (except for the tissue paper which came from a gift) and only cost pennies to make (unless you count the $10K+ we paid for shipping) all these items. Here's what it looked like...




Next, Beryl said to paint the piece with diluted acrylic paint but I wasn't looking too closely at the instructions and skipped to the next step, which was to rubber-stamp script onto the painted tissue/wall paper. I got out my "Let It Be" stamp (don't you love that) and went to town. 



Then I realized I had skipped the paint part and went back and put a wash of silver paint on top. Here's what it looks like now...



I have NO idea what I'll do with it but it was a great to use up some of my glue and paint and of course, trash. :)


I also did one in different colors -


Minus the script -



Beryl's directions said to use strips of paper and I did simply because I was in the mood for a 'no brainer' but as I was playing, I thought about tearing paper into shapes and making a scene.


That reminds me, I did make a bit of a scene early today, which I won't describe, and in order to get over my very grumpy mood, I sent myself to my room, and made this Fabric Paper - also from Beryl's book...




I hardly EVER use black paint and when I realized what was going on I tried to soften it a bit with silver paint and an orange wash on top. It looks like a Halloween Trip Gone Bad with the red slashes running through it. And look at those words. Boy oh boy.


Anyway, I was feeling a little better by the time I'd tried to fix it a little and it doesn't look as bad hanging outside with my clean up rag - which is now surface designed fabric. I don't waste anything.


When I finish painting on a project, I use up what's left on my palette and brush by painting on fabric or paper. 

When I took a workshop with Sue Benner (actually 2 now) (she's that wonderful), she taught me to layer, layer, layer. So...I have a bin of fabric that I've altered by dyeing, painting, burning, foiling, batiking, stamping, stencliling and free motion stitching to name a few. This is the bin I go to first when I want to make something.


I used to just look at it and wouldn't let myself use it for anything that wasn't super special but I've decided that everything I do is super special and I love making art that much more because those fabrics make me happiest.


Anywho, I digress. 

When I go to clean my palette and brushes, I'll look through my special bin of fabric and pull out pieces to apply the paint that's left in the brush - until there ain't no more. Then, I dip it in water and keep applying - until there ain't no more. Then, I'll take a piece of really ugly fabric and sop up whatever water is left to over dye it - until there ain't no more. Now, I have another layer lain down on several pieces and feel like I've done my good deed for the day. 

When I take my tools to the sink, I feel satisfied that nothing is going to end up in anyone's water supply. Down here, that's already a big enough concern. (But I did that in Florida too).

So, after running downstairs for a sandwich (we always eat our big meal in the middle of the day down here) (I'm down 35 pounds!!!), I came upstairs, put Beryl's book aside and played with more strips. 

I love that I went from Halloween Trip Gone Bad to this -



 -even though this is just the beginning of the piece, I think it's much happier.


It's almost 12:30am here and I'm getting sleepy but I wanted to show you my contact cards real quick before I close down the computer. 

I hope to continue with my business, bohemiannie! art, while here in Colombia and have thought and thought about what to put on my next business or contact cards. I decided to make itty bitty collages (business card size) with my scraps - which I can't bear to throw away - and here is the last batch - which I finished yesterday...






I love making them but the best part is handing them out! 


Later alligator!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yuckola. More than half of my email has been from anonymous, so.....